Sunday, October 21, 2012

How infant baptism has blessed me

A disclaimer: I'm really not meaning (or wanting) for this post to stir up discussion or debate about infant baptism. I just wanted a place to process through my thoughts and give thanks for how it has been a means of grace and a blessing to our family.

I admit that infant baptism was once so foreign to me that I actually couldn't imagine that a true follower of Christ could even consider baptizing their children. Later in life, mostly after being around Presbyterians that I (in shock) realized were following Jesus, I tolerated the idea. And now, after much wrestling, the baptism of children in our church is no longer a stumbling block but a blessing to me.

This is why:
                                                   ...........................................................
1. It is a means of grace that reminds me God is dealing with our family as a unit. Of course he deals with our individual hearts, but there is something very sacred about the institution of family. And something to be noted that throughout the course of history, God has dealt with his people in community... mostly as families.

"For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy." 1 Cor. 7:14

I know that "holy" here does not mean righteous before God; It means set apart. Because Andrew and I are both following Jesus, our family is set apart from the world. Called to be different. That calling (hallelujah!) is for our children, too. While I have always believed there was such a thing as generational sin (judgement being passed down... which can be broken, for sure), I am just now seeing the beauty of generational blessing as well. As God deals well with us, He deals well with our children. Incredible grace!

2. It is a means of grace that reminds me that Wilson (and our future children) is a part of the church body. His baptism was a sign, among other things, of his joining the visible church. He is under the caring arms of not just his physical family, but his spiritual family too. He will never have to feel the sense of being on the outside trying to work his way in. He is on the inside already, and at some point  he will have to make a decision. He will either affirm these truths he has been taught and realize the hope in his baptism or he will turn away. Our hope, of course, is that he will never remember a day of not knowing Jesus.

3. It is a means of grace that reminds me of my own helplessness. This morning as I watched another sweet baby being trusted to Jesus, I thought of God's pursuit of my own heart. Although I would like to think that it was a decision that I made... that something in me was so good and holy that I chose the truth... I know what really happened. I know that the Lord was the one who pursued me. I know He graciously opened my eyes to the great chasm that separated us. I know He lovingly explained to my heart how He had both fulfilled righteousness and punishment for me. And it was His Spirit that inclined my heart to trust.

So whether a baby or a 13 year old... God chose to love us from the beginning of time. Seeing that sweet baby baptized (and Wilson's baptism) reminds me that He is the author of salvation. Not man.

                                                         ................................................

And so while I am not ready to be an apologist for infant baptism, I do want to give thanks for how it has blessed our family richly. Mostly because it was something that I, for so long, scoffed at. Isn't it amazingly true: The more we learn... the more humbled we become.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. I especially agree with the last sentence. Katherine and I were discussing how our hearts are broken for family members who are lost. She commented that watching and praying for lost loved ones helps us recognize and give thanks for the fact that we aren't...thankfulness that God pursued us, drew our hearts to Him, and ultimately opened our eyes and souls to the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog. You write so beautifully, and the last two post have been things I have been studying or thinking about lately. And yes, the last sentence is so true!! I am humbled everyday from things I learn. Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...