Friday, September 2, 2011

The Kitchen, Part II

Subtitled: Things Fall Apart
As I mentioned in Part I, Andrew and I stayed up into the wee hours of the night painting the first coat onto the cabinets. I decided on a grayish green. I tried to get as close to the color in the aforementioned dream kitchen as I could... but it ended up a little more on the gray side and less on the green than I imagined, but I still really loved the outcome.
Andrew was so wise to lay out the cabinet doors in an exact order of where they came off. I was not so wise, and sleepy-eyed and disoriented the next morning and somehow, for some reason, started moving them around to paint the second coat on.

This is when things started to fall apart. These were custom built cabinets that need to go in their home... there are so many of them and so many different combination possibilities, that most of our cabinets still look like this
Pardon the yellow tones, our camera flash is broken right now
 Do you see how one cabinet lays on the other? That's the case with about 4 of them right now. We think it may also have to do with the new hinges we got, but even when we changed them back they still don't close just right. We did get new hardware which I think updates the kitchen a lot. (It better, for the price! I couldn't believe how much a little knob costs.)

That was Thing #1.

Thing #2 is worse. The paint is peeling. Yes, we did check to see what the base of the paint was on the cabinets before we started painting. We were told to rub the cabinets with a cloth with alcohol. If the paint comes off on the cloth it is latex (water based). The paint did not come off, so we assumed oil based. Either we got it wrong, or Lowe's gave us latex paint... but something is not right. And I don't think it's right that we are going to have to sand all these cabinets down and paint them. Again.

So friends, this is real life. I never, ever want to flip a house.

I still have some more to tell you about other renovations... tune in later for counter tops and back splash!  At this rate, the kitchen might be a six month renovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...